Thursday, May 27, 2010

PRK Laser Srugery - Prologue

This will be a somewhat different set of posts than usual - perhaps this will be more like an actual blog then a set of technical recipes. You see, tomorrow I will be going in for laser eye surgery to get rid of my glasses after wearing them for some 38 years and I thought it might be a good idea to keep a diary of my recovery.

Normally, for most people these days, getting Lasik surgery is quite routine, but I have...

  1. A pretty extreme perscription at -9 diopters
  2. Apparently the epithelial layer of cells on my eye ball are somewhat loose (who knew?)
Because of these, I need to go for PRK surgery (Photorefractive keratectomy, which you can read about here). Since that does away with the Lasik flap, I will have to regrow the epithelium over my cornea, which can take a few days. The only thing that makes me a bit nervous is that sometimes it can be somewhat painful and it can take a few weeks for your vision to completely "lock in" to it's final perscription.

So, assuming I can even see my computer monitor, I am going to keep a record on my blog so that I can track just how well I am doing and how long it takes to recover. I've read a few other patients journals from their recovery and I found it really helpful to understand the process. Hopefully my journal will be helpful to someone else.

I do have a very cool Arduino project I will finish once I am up to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment